People You May Need to Contact

Organisations and Businesses

Car Insurance - if the policy is in the name of your loved one any additional drivers named on the policy are no longer insured once the policy holder has passed away so make sure the documentation is changed to reflect the new situation.

Social Services/District Nurses - if there is equipment belonging to either of these it must be returned.

Hospital and/or Family Doctor - Any outstanding appointments will need to be cancelled.

Employer or Professional Association

Inland Revenue Social Security - form 3344/BD8 needs to be completed to cancel any direct payments into your loved one's bank account. This white certificate is provided by the Registrar of Deaths.

Local Council - cancel any housing/rate benefits and council tax.

Utilities - gas, electric, water, telephone and cable companies.

Post Office - arrange redirection of mail.

Credit and Store Cards - cancel cards and settle accounts.

Banks and Building Societies - accounts need to be closed and any joint accounts need to be amended. Any debit cards should be returned or destroyed. Investment, insurance and pension policies - premium bonds are not transferable. The Post Office will issue you with a form that needs to be sent to the Bonds and Stocks Office. For further advice we suggest that you consult an independent financial adviser or accountant.


• Green Certificate for the Funeral Director.

• Social Security Certificate to be handed in at the D.S.S. Offices with any pension books.

• Copies of entry of death for bank, insurance and solicitors.

Ministers, Priests or Celebrants

We will make contact on your behalf, if you wish. Whomever you choose will be happy to help and give support during and after bereavement.