Help with Funeral Costs

The following information should be treated as general guidance. We are not able to gurantee the availability of a loan, but we do understand how a discussion with the Department of Social Services may prompt the availability of a loan, however they make the final decision.

You may receive help if there is not enough money to pay for the funeral and you are responsible for making the funeral arrangements. You may qualify if you and your partner are recieving any of the following benefits:-

Income Support, Housing Benefit, Tax Credits or Council Tax Benefit.

Check what amount of money is available from:-

1. The estate of the person who has died, such as money from bank and building society accounts.

2. Insurance policies, Funeral Plan or charities, lump sum payments made by pension scheme or relatives, (either yours or the person who has died).

3. Any savings you have in bank or building society, National Savings (including certificates or premium bonds) or in cash.

Savings may be in your name or the same of your partner. The widow's pension payment does not count as savings.

The social fund may make a contribution towards the cost of a simple funeral within the United Kingdom. This includes;

• Bringing the person home if he or she has died away from home within the United Kingdom.

• The Death Certificate.

• A basic coffin.

• The Hearse for the coffin and appropriate bearers.

• Flowers from the person who is arranging the funeral.

• Contribution towards the Funeral Director's fees.

• Chaplain and organist fee.

• Cemetery or Crematorium.

• Doctor's Fees.